- 田文浩裝置藝術展9/22 敦煌藝術展 9/27
- 全美總會線上講座 - 如何申請進入理想的大學 10/8
- Boston Asian American Film Festival preview party 10/5, festival 10/19-22
- 紐英倫作協講座 10/19
- 招聘 - BCNC, 武漢大學10/14, 波士頓市府10/19
- 崇德佛院 普賢講堂 慈濟
- 紐英崙中華專業人員協會40週年 10/28
- 醫藥 - HMS deciphering the genome 10/12 首屆世界針灸康養大會12/2-7
- 留美華人企業家聯合會年會10/7 Under 30 Summit 10/1-4
- BCIC - Fintech Roundtable Brainstorming Session 10/9 醫療科技路演 10/13
- ILF 國際領袖基金會
- ILF 國際領袖基金會 - ACE Next generation conference 8/18-20
- MIT ENERGY CLUB Mass Innovation Nights
- MIPIM 2017 - Real Estate Tech Trends from MIPIM
- 麻州州長動態 - Nominates Paul G. Pino of North Falmouth as Associate Justice of the District Court and Colette M. Santa of Milford as a Member of the Parole Board
- 羅德島州克蘭斯頓市長馮偉傑 Car Tax Bill
- City of Boston, Quincy, Malden, Greenway 昆市市長亞裔顧問委員會
- 牛頓市議員馬惠美- council meeting notes 10/1
- 波士頓市議會議長吳弭 (Michelle Wu ) - fundraiser for Puerto Rico 10/14
- Ben Chin (陳樂) for Mayor in Maine - Signs were stolen
- BIOVision/ Boston MedTech / Mass Life Sciences
- 華人參政 - 牛頓市候選人論壇10/15
- Plays - Lost Tempo 10/5 OLEANNA 10/14-11/5 Elemeno Pea 11/2-19 無名劇社 11/26
- 博物館 - Guggenheim, Harvard Art, Forbes House, China Institute
- 劍橋市素描餐廳 10/6 試新菜
- 李保華忠告年輕人 做個遠大的夢
- 【你的學歷，能幫助公司什麼…？】如果沒有這 7 個特質，你讀到台大也沒用！
- 朱学渊 - 陈建奇、郭晓敏：特朗普重塑全球的三大战略
- 作者專欄： 王世輝 - 看見台灣：向齊柏林致敬
- 台灣工程師的矽谷故事- 兩份文件，與嫁衣台灣
星期五, 2月 12, 2016
NEW JERSEY STOCK PROMOTER IDENTIFIED IN UNDERCOVER OPERATION SENTENCED TO PRISON
NEW JERSEY STOCK PROMOTER IDENTIFIED IN
UNDERCOVER OPERATION SENTENCED TO PRISON
BOSTON – A New Jersey stock promoter was sentenced today in U.S. District Court in Boston for his involvement in a scheme to artificially manipulate the stock price of Massachusetts-based company, Amogear Inc.
Michael Affa, 36, of Toms River, NJ, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge William G. Young to 33 months in prison and ordered to pay a fine of $1 million. In September 2015, Affa pleaded guilty to conspiracy, securities fraud, and wire fraud.
In 2013 and 2014, a federal undercover operation monitored in real-time, Affa’s participation in the scheme to manipulate the stock price of Amogear. In February 2014, the SEC suspended trading in the securities of Amogear as the attempted manipulation of its stock was underway. Prior to the suspension, Affa and his co-conspirators, who were all stock promoters, carried out a scheme to create a false appearance of an active market in the stock, including a false media campaign designed to increase the price of the stock, knowing that Amogear was a shell company without any real operations. Affa and his co-conspirators planned to sell the stock into the market at artificially inflated prices from which they would profit. What Affa did not know was that Amogear was controlled by the FBI and used to obtain evidence of their attempt to manipulate the market.
The case arises from a multi-year investigation focusing on preventing fraud in the microcap stock markets. Microcap companies are small, publicly-traded companies whose stock often trades at pennies per share. Fraud in the microcap stock markets is of increasing concern to regulators as such markets have proven to be fertile grounds for fraud and abuse. This is, in part, because accurate information about microcap stocks may be difficult for the average investor to find, since many microcap companies do not file financial reports with the SEC.
United States Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz and Harold H. Shaw, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Boston Field Division, made the announcement today. The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Vassili Thomadakis of Ortiz’s Criminal Division and Special Assistant U.S. Attorneys Eric Forni and Andrew Palid of the Securities and Exchange Commission.