網頁

星期四, 5月 28, 2015

John Connolly co-founded 1647 to work on education

Dear Friends and Neighbors,
The campaign’s e-blast service is expiring so this is it.  I’m excited to use this final e-blast to share my new work with you… at long last.
A quick family update first: My incredible Meg has returned to work as a psychologist after putting her career on hold while I ran for mayor.  Clare and Teddy are thriving at the Trotter Innovation School in Roxbury.  MaryKate is walking, talking, and wreaking inspired havoc on a daily basis.  These days, I spend a lot of time at little league, soccer, and street hockey games.  I love it.
I have also been working quietly, but diligently, to launch 1647, a new organization named for the year the Massachusetts legislature declared education a community responsibility.  I serve as the co-founder and executive director.  Read about our launch here.
After the election, I wanted to continue working to empower families to improve schools, but I didn’t know how.  Last May, I visited a non-profit in Washington D.C. helping 30 schools engage families through teacher home visits.  In one of DC’s toughest schools, I listened to a mom share her frustrations at only hearing from school when her child was in trouble.  She felt judged as a parent and unwanted at school.  I listened to a teacher share her frustrations with her school’s lack of parental involvement.  She felt unappreciated for all her hard work.  This mom and teacher met through a home visit.  The visit shifted their perceptions and enabled them to build a real relationship.  During the year, the teacher kept mom updated on her child’s performance, and mom worked on academics at home with her child.  Mom ultimately joined the parent board at school.  And I found my new work.
What does 1647 do?  We strengthen the connection between schools and families by training teachers to conduct home visits and partner with parents to support learning at home.  We work with schools in Salem and Lawrence, and hope to work with schools throughout Massachusetts.
If you want to help or learn more about 1647, here are three things you can do:
  1. Visit www.1647families.org and sign up for e-mail updates.
  2. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
  3. Make a tax deductible contribution here.
Thank you again for your friendship and support through the years.  Please let me know if I can ever be helpful, and please spread the word about 1647.
All the best,
--
John R. Connolly
Executive Director, 1647

沒有留言: