- HCSSA - 中國教育論壇 4/29, 30
- 波士頓華埠社區中心/華美福利會/華埠社區聯盟/ 華人醫務中心/ 亞美社區發展協會/ 華夏文化協會
- AAC TAP CACAB NAAAP AARW AAWPI ASPIRE AWH WANG YMCA QARI
- 牛頓台灣日 5/6 TCCNE台商會講座4/29 美食 5/21 高球賽5/27 教中文策略講座 7/8-20
- Cafe Philo - 葉丙成座談4/29 死刑爭議4/30 夏星講座4/29
- 國際領袖基金會 - AAPI Business Summit 5/16
- ILF 國際領袖基金會
- 校友、同學會 - 女神來了 4/28 華中科大5/2 北大年會5/7 清華校友 龍舟賽招兵買馬
- 創業 - 慶祝亞裔傳統月座談 5/16 MIT-CHIEF HMS-CSSA華人創業論壇 燎原 5/9
- CYPN 第三屆健身賽4/29 亞洲女性聯合會
- 波士頓台灣同鄉會講座4/30 "緬因地" ˋ4/30
- 音樂 - 劍橋合唱團4/30 Parker 四重奏4/30 Eric Lu 5/13 古箏樂團 5...
- BCIC - 中美路演日 5/5
- 醫藥 - CABA 10 週年5/6 中国在研药品的FDA法规注册之路
- NECINA - NEW 5.0 Start up pitch 5/11
- 北美華文作協 5/13, 6/1
- 崇德佛院 普賢講堂 慈濟4/29
- 招聘 - Hopkinton school district
- Plays -Peerless 4/27-5/27 Sinners 3/23-4/2 - Franklin 3/23-4/2 Every Piece of Me 4/20-30
- Harvard China Forum 4/21-23
- 麻州州長動態 - Presents Green Communities Designation Awards
- 羅德島州克蘭斯頓市長馮偉傑 Installs New Flood Warning System
- 波士頓市議會議長吳弭 (Michelle Wu ) - open ed with Dukakis
- 牛頓市議員馬惠美- 今年角逐牛頓市長
- 劍橋市議員張禮能 - Cambridge Mini Bond Program
- City of Boston, Quincy, Malden, Greenway 昆市市長亞裔顧問委員會
- 博物館 - Guggenheim, Harvard Art, Forbes House, China Institute
- MIT ENERGY CLUB Mass Innovation Nights
- BIOVision/ Boston MedTech / Mass Life Sciences
- 【你的學歷，能幫助公司什麼…？】如果沒有這 7 個特質，你讀到台大也沒用！
- 李保華忠告年輕人 做個遠大的夢
- 朱学渊 - 陈建奇、郭晓敏：特朗普重塑全球的三大战略
- 作者專欄： 王世輝 - 紅幫裁縫的傳奇
- 台灣工程師的矽谷故事 失敗創業家書單 - 撕裂台灣社會
- MIPIM 2017 - Real Estate Tech Trends from MIPIM
星期一, 8月 08, 2016
“The Heritage of Sound” by Nate Speare
“The Heritage of Sound” by Nate Speare
--in memory of Jed Speare--
CONTEMPORARY ARTS INTERNATIONAL (CAI)
Acton, MA – Contemporary Arts International (CAI), a nonprofit art center, announces the performance on CAI’s Container Man Stage. The performance is entitled “The Heritage of Sound” by Nate Speare, in collaboration with Ana Cantoran, to recognize Jed’s Speare’s achievement and contributions as a sound artist and acoustic ecologist in the field of Sound Art. CAI’s Container Man Stage is a 14-kinetic-sculptural-orchestral instrument created by Viktor Lois. There will be two shows respectively on August 19, Friday, 8:00-9:00PM and August 20, Saturday, 8:00-9:00PM.
“The Heritage of Sound” is a tribute to Nate’s father, sound artist and multimedia artist Jed Speare, who passed away in March 2016. Jed Speare, nick-named “Mr. Mobius”, served for over twenty years as the director of Mobius, Boston’s artist-run center for experimental work in all media.
As a storyteller, vocal performer and astrologer, Nate Speare’s performance references include myriad sources of folklore-based oral tradition as well as extended range vocal techniques of the Roy Hart Theatre, PanTheatre and other experimental companies. The subject matter of his works ranges from pedestrian struggles to sacred experiences. “The Heritage of Sound” explores memory as an urgent yet non-linear inquiry that is both personal and transpersonal, and that unfolds in time and space. Speare draws inspiration from his father, Jed Speare’s environmental approach to composing sound works: the soundscapes played during the performance are ‘found sound’ from a specific acoustic environment. The dynamic therein is an invitation for Speare to sing, which can also mean cry, lament, laugh, crescendo or suspend a moment of silence. At the same time, Speare invites the audience to participate in an act of remembering stories of parent-child bonds as he urgently conjures memories and associations in the moment based on prompts that the audience delivers. The inquiry posed involves the sometimes-awkward encounter between subjective, sentimental memory and the rawness of the surrounding world in all that it evokes, from alienation to astonishment to tenderness. “The Heritage of Sound” is co-created with the guidance, direction and performative sensibility of partner Ana Cantoran Viramontes, an accomplished interdisciplinary artist and ritualist.
Nate Speare is a mythopoetic vocal artist, storyteller, educator and astrological consultant. He holds an MFA from Naropa University. He has performed and collaborated with PanTheatre (France), for which he was an artist-in-residence at the Roy Hart International Artistic Center in Cevennes, France. He has performed original solo work with Nettles Artists Collective, The One, United Solo Theatre Festival, and IRT Theater's 3b Development Series, and with Mobius and CyberArts Gallery in Boston. He is a Teaching Artist at Marquis Studios and an astrological reader at Catland Books. He is also a storyteller and researcher for Storyeon, a folkloric archive associated with the Archive for Research in Archetypal Symbolism at the Carl Jung Center of NY.
Jed Speare was an artist and arts manager working in a variety of media and settings. Initially trained in music composition, he has presented sound, performance, video, installation, conceptual, multimedia and community-based works locally, nationally, and internationally in festivals and locales such as San Francisco, Amsterdam, Canada, Taiwan, Croatia, Czech Republic, Poland, Belarus, Bulgaria, France, and Italy. A more extensive bio of Jed can be found at http://www.mobius.org/jed-speare/
Ana Cantoran Viramontes is an interdisciplinary performer, movement artist, director and researcher of the relationship between ritual and the performative body. In working with Nate Speare, she seeks to find the artistic structures that provide the vocal and aural container for human memory, as well as elevating sounds of iron and concrete in our search for connection with what is bigger than us.
CAI’s admission fee is $5 for students and $10 for adults, which will include a tour of the studio and the sculpture park.
For more information, visit our website at www.contemporaryartsinternational.org.