- 波士頓哲五＂受困在帝國邊緣＂12/4 鄭守夏講座 12/5 波克萊台商會1/14新春團聚
- CYPN千人滑雪 12/9-11 舞池上的迪士尼 12/9 Asian Night Boston 12/17
- 東波士頓藝術家開放日 12/3 A lecture on Angel Island 12/9
- NEACP包場看李安新片 12/3
- 北美華文作協講座 12/8
- 崇德佛院 普賢講堂 慈濟
- 麻州州長動態 - Awards $250,000 in Conservation District Innovation Grants
- 波士頓市議會議長吳弭 (Michelle Wu ) - 12/8 假日慶祝會
- 劍橋市議員張禮能 - please vote
- ILF 國際領袖基金會
- 國際領袖基金會 - 代表團訪問台灣獲總統接見
- Plays - Boston Playwrights’ Faithless
- 台灣工程師的矽谷故事 失敗創業家書單 - 撕裂台灣社會
- 作者專欄： 王世輝 - 紅幫裁縫的傳奇
- 朱学渊 - 我十二年前“全球化尾声已近”的预期，被川普当选证实
- 【你的學歷，能幫助公司什麼…？】如果沒有這 7 個特質，你讀到台大也沒用！
- 博物館 - Guggenheim, Harvard Art, Forbes House, China Institute
- MIPIM 2017 - Chengdu City Music Hall wins World Architecture Festival Award
- 羅德島州克蘭斯頓市長馮偉傑 Cranston Lands $300,000 Grant for L...
- HCSSA - 特邀讲座：京剧的现状、挑战、和前景 12/2
- TCFA第22屆年會 11/6
- 華夏文協乒乓賽11/19 QARI 宣佈代主任，年會 11/17
- BIOVision/ Boston MedTech / Mass Life Sciences
- MIT ENERGY CLUB Mass Innovation Nights
- 李保華忠告年輕人 做個遠大的夢
- 醫藥 - HMS-CSSA 講座12/2 Medical Device Symposium 12/10
- 招聘 - 廈門大學生物醫學院 12/2 MIRA
- AAC TAP CACAB NAAAP AARW AAWPI ASPIRE AWH WANG YMCA QARI
星期二, 6月 21, 2016
MASSACHUSETTS CONSUMERS TO RECEIVE NEARLY $9 MILLION IN REFUNDS FROM E-BOOK PRICE FIXING SETTLEMENTS
MASSACHUSETTS CONSUMERS TO RECEIVE NEARLY $9 MILLION IN REFUNDS FROM E-BOOK PRICE FIXING SETTLEMENTS Consumers Nationwide to Receive $400 Million as a Result of Successful Litigation against Apple, Inc.
BOSTON – Massachusetts residents who purchased electronic books (E-books) will begin to receive additional account credits or checks this week as a result of the successful prosecution of a price-fixing case against Apple, Inc., Attorney General Maura Healey announced today.
In total, consumers nationwide will receive more than $400 million after the United States Supreme Court denied Apple’s request to review the decision of a lower court finding Apple had violated antitrust laws. Of that amount, Massachusetts consumers are expected to receive approximately $9 million in restitution.
“Consumers who were forced to pay higher prices as a result of the price-fixing and collusion among these competitors will finally get the relief they are due,” AG Healey said. “This outcome sends a clear message that these kinds of practices are unfair to consumers and violate our antitrust laws.”
In July 2013, the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York ruled that Apple conspired with five major U.S. Publishers - Hachette Book Group Inc., HarperCollins Publishers LLC, Simon & Schuster Inc., Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC, d/b/a Macmillan, and Penguin Group (USA) Inc. – to raise the retail prices of E-books, in violation of federal and state antitrust laws.
In June 2015, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit affirmed that ruling. And in March 2016, the U.S. Supreme Court denied Apple’s request to review the Second Circuit’s decision.
The nearly $9 million in restitution is in addition to the approximately $5 million dollars that was paid to Massachusetts consumers starting in March 2014 as a result of previous settlements with Macmillan, Penguin Group (USA) Inc., Hachette Book Group Inc., HarperCollins Publishers L.L.C., and Simon & Schuster Inc.
Whether a consumer receives a credit or a check depends upon the retailer from which the relevant e-books were purchased; for some retailers it also depends upon whether a claim was properly filed or whether the consumer specifically requested a check. Eligible consumers are asked to review emails from their e-book retailer, or from the Settlement Administrator, regarding account credits or checks.
The amounts received by E-book purchasers will be based on the number of E-books purchased between April 1, 2010 and May 21, 2012. For each E-book that was a New York Times bestseller, consumers will receive $6.93. For all other E-books, the payment will be $1.57.
For more information on the settlements, please visit www.ebookagsettlements.com.
This case was handled by William Matlack, Chief of Maura Healey’s Antitrust Division and Kyle Barr, Paralegal and Economic Analyst, also in the Antitrust Division.