網頁

星期四, 1月 08, 2015

Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito Delivers Inaugural Address

Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito Delivers Inaugural Address
 

Boston- Today, Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito delivers her inaugural address to a joint session of the Massachusetts state legislature.  Remarks as prepared for delivery:
 
"Friends, neighbors, and fellow citizens of this remarkable commonwealth, it’s my honor to stand here today alongside my friend, our Governor, Charlie Baker.  And for the first time in this house Chamber I stand humbled as your Lieutenant Governor.

"Thank you for your trust.  And thank you for bestowing this honor upon us.  We won't let you down.

"To our many distinguished guests – servicemen and women, our local and state leaders, Governors and former Governors of the Commonwealth – we're honored to have you here.  And to my friend Jan Cellucci, thank you so much for being here, and for your support, your friendship, and your advice. You are an inspiration to us all.

"Today we especially remember and miss my friend and mentor Governor Paul Cellucci for the leadership he showed this state.  And for the high bar of excellence he set for this administration.  Thank you Jan, Kate, and the Cellucci Family.

"And to my two incredible kids Judy and Bobby, I love you.  And I want you both to know the greatest title I'll ever have in my life will always be your mom.  And to my husband Steve – you are the best dad ever and my best friend.  And it's because of your tremendous support that I stand here today.

"To my parents Fran and Judy, and my family joining us in the Chamber, thank you.  Thank you for instilling in me the values of hard-work, compassion, and service.  I love you all.

"Today begins a new chapter in the long and extraordinary history of our Commonwealth.  Before us many brave and brilliant men and women gave of themselves to serve.  Often in difficult times, these men and women created a proud history for our state.

"Today Charlie and I begin our journey with reverent respect and gratitude for their contribution, as well as an aspiration to build on that foundation, to make our state stronger and the lives of its people better.

"But we won't be taking that journey alone – we'll do it as partners.  Not just Governor and Lieutenant Governor, but partners with those of you serving in our state legislature. Partners with our local leaders.  Partners with the citizens of Massachusetts, who all share a common dream of creating endless opportunity for everyone – everywhere in our state.

"Only when we put partisanship and politics aside, and only when we focus on what unites us rather than what divides us will we begin to realize the limitless potential of our people and our great state.  Because the very best ideas, the most important values, are common ideas and common values.

"We all know that we need to ensure every child receives a first-rate public education regardless of where they live.  Let's work together to make that a reality.

"We all know that everyone in Massachusetts should have an opportunity to find a great job or a great career, whether they live in Worcester, or Boston, or Springfield, or Berkshire County.  Let's support our entrepreneurs, strengthen our small businesses, and provide our workers the tools and the training to make this happen.

"We all want safe and thriving communities to raise our families.  So we'll support our towns by renewing our commitment to local aid.

"We all recognize our good fortune to live in a state blessed with so much beauty.  So we'll continue to be leaders in conservation and science.

"And we all recognize our fundamental responsibility as citizens of our commonwealth to care for our neighbors.  So we'll lead a state government that is compassionate, that promotes equality, that empowers people with a pathway to self-sufficiency, and that provides real and meaningful support to those who need its help the most.

"Today as we begin this journey as partners, I remember where I came from.  And I remember my great grandfather Francesco.  He came to this country from Sicily on Columbus Day in 1909.  He arrived with little except a dream to build a better life for his family.  He settled in Worcester County.  He worked hard.  And he saw that dream come true.

"Nearly fourteen years ago today, I took the oath of office to serve in this House of Representatives.  Inspired by my great grandfather, I saw public service as a pathway to help others live their dreams.

"Today families across Massachusetts are working hard to achieve their dreams of making life better for themselves, their kids, and their grandkids.  And as Charlie and I take office, we commit ourselves to our citizens.

"We commit to work tirelessly in a bipartisan way with focus and a refusal to accept failure so that every child and every parent in Massachusetts will have the opportunity to realize their dreams.

"So now let's roll up our sleeves and get to work.

"Thank you.  God Bless you and God Bless the Commonwealth of Massachusetts."

沒有留言: